Positively Adopted

Life with children who have HIV

Would a child with HIV need special doctors?

Most children with HIV should be seen by a 'pediatric infectious disease specialist' every three to four months. 

Sometimes when an HIV+ child has been on medication, and has done very well for an extended period of time, visits can be less frequent. 

However if a child is just beginning medication, or struggling with his current medications, the child may have more frequent appointments until stabalized. 

Aside from these quarterly visits, a child with HIV can be treated by a family doctor or pediatrician for all other routine care (well check ups, ear infections, etc).

  • Click Here for a listing of Pediatric Infectious Disease Specialists by State.

*Coming Soon!

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.